August 12

Welcome to the inside!

Hi there! Welcome to my blog. This site captures numerous phases of my professional life, from a classroom teacher, to a PLANE enthusiast (the acronym, not the mode of transportation), and to my current dream phase of teacher librarian in training. I’m a high school English teacher, who was completely unprepared for the steepness of the learning curve of a shift into library land, and caught off guard by how quickly I would be infected by this wonderful new career path. I work at a wonderful public school in Western Sydney. I am mother to a 22 year old know-it-all and military history nut, a 16 year old fangirl and book nerd, and a 13 year old dancer who has just discovered her first literary crush. I’m so proud. I also have 7 grandchildren ranging from 14 down to almost 1 (would mentioning the stepchildren in their late 20’s/early 30’s help with that brain explosion you’re having now?), an obsession with Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer, an unhealthy disrespect for my own sleep needs, and a somewhat related coffee addiction. Oh, and I like books. A lot.

I blog somewhat sporadically about my work, my study, and whatever else I feel like posting about when I should be doing something else (usually an assignment, I’m suspecting). I’m a self-confessed author stalker, documenting my encounters with authors in the wild, my cats, and my latest geeky finds on my instagram account. In my spare time, I’m passionate about a whole raft of things educational … social media, engagement, literacy, community involvement, welfare, ICT, and books. Did I mention I like the books? I did? Ok.

So, that’s my late night intro to me. I’m assuming if you are reading this you are either
(a) studying with me,
(b) assessing me, or
(c) interested in all things libraryish, bookish, and perhaps after some solid author stalking tips.

So (a) commiserations to you, I’m sure we’ll get through it,
(b) you are looking quite lovely tonight. And really very smart. Hi there.
(c) welcome friend! I can’t wait to meet you. Leave me a message, I’ll hook you up.

You should know, I’m a little bit of a perfectionist. So often, I get so caught up in doing things to the BEST of my ability, that the things that fall a little further down on my to-do list, like this blog, never get done because I’m waiting for time to do it “just right”. In an effort to combat that, I’m on a self-imposed blogging challenge. I going to attempt to post, at least once a week, about something that I find interesting, or that I’m thinking about. It might not be deep and meaningful, it might not be perfectly proof-read, but it’ll be done. And I’m ok with that!!  If you can be ok with that too, and don’t judge me on the occasionally badly worded sentence or misplaced comma (which will drive me mental if I do notice them!!) then I’d love to hear your comments. Thanks for stopping by!